A large backyard or beautiful sitting area has always been a welcome part of any home. But recently, outdoor spaces have moved from a nice “bonus” to an absolute necessity in the wake of COVID-19, travel bans, and stay-at-home orders.
And because many people are saving money by not traveling or commuting to work, they’re investing it back into their homes.
Rediscovering a Love for the Great Outdoors
OnePoll recently conducted a survey of 2,000 homeowners on behalf of TrueGreen and discovered that:
- Participants currently spend around 14 hours a week outside. This is up three hours from before the start of COVID-19.
- 73% of participants said that spending time outdoors has been therapeutic and a stress-reliever
- 70% of respondents said that outdoor projects and adding to their home’s exterior living spaces has become a new hobby of theirs.
In “The State of Home Spending: 2020,” a report produced by HomeAdvisor, it was found that:
- 85% of Americans surveyed reported spending more time at home since the pandemic.
- 63% are noticing more areas in their home that they want to improve on.
- 27% of the homeowners surveyed say they have more outdoor living needs.
- 40% desire more home entertaining areas.
People are Migrating to the Suburbs
“If a city doesn’t have enough green space for the amount of people who live there, that’s a public health issue,” said Assoc. Prof. Marc Berman, a leading expert on how environmental factors can affect the brain and behavior.
The recent pandemic proved that spending time outdoors is not just enjoyable; it’s crucial to our health and happiness. In fact, a desire for more outdoor space is partially driving what’s being called “The Great Urban Exodus” — an influx of people (predominantly Millennials and Gen Z) moving from the city to the suburbs.
Outdoor Living Brands, Inc. is the market-leading franchisor of premium residential and commercial outdoor living services with multiple established national brands — Archadeck, Conserva Irrigation, and Outdoor Lighting Perspectives. Get started with us today!